Compete to be Mentally Tough
Coach Jen Rulon of San Antonio is joining us today. She’s an 11-time Ironman triathlete and coach helping triathletes get to the finish line with a smile. She has been an incredible supporter of Compete Everyday and an awesome member of the community since we met years ago.
As a health and fitness expert, Jennifer “Jen” Rulon MS, has inspired, coached and motivated many athletes to get to their first sprint triathlon to their 3rd Ironman Triathlon. Jen guides her athletes to learn about themselves BEYOND the physical aspects of doing an Ironman Triathlon.
Jen joined me to discuss what she’s created as a coach, her personal development as an athlete, and her TED talk on the mental side of performance. It’s a deep conversation, but I think it’s one you’re going to be enriched by. Enjoy!
- 3:30 Leaving a full time dream job to go back to school
- 7:00 Bringing mental strength into triathlete training
- 9:00 Dealing with negative thoughts during a race
- 10:30 Learning to get past mental discomfort
Jen Getting Motivated
- 13:00 Applying her approach from working with killer whales to performance
- 15:00 Deciding she wanted to give a TED talk and making it happen
- 18:00 Learning about herself and her fuel from preparing for her TED talk
- 19:00 You might set a goal with the unconscious intention of proving something to someone else, but to be successful, it needs to ultimately be for you.
Better Than Yesterday Quotes
“The body can go a lot longer than we anticipate versus the mind.”
“I’m not going to fail because I stopped trying because I’m going to keep trying in whatever I do. If something’s not working out, I’ll move on.”
“I let things go and I learned how to deal with things mentally and spiritually. I was in the ideal place for a race.”
CONNECT WITH JEN